Senior Communications Associate (New York, New York)
Salary commensurate with experience
This position, available immediately, is an exciting opportunity to join the staff at PolicyLink. PolicyLink is a national research and action institute that works to advance policies at the federal, state, and local level to achieve economic and social equity by Lifting Up What Works®. Please visit our website at: www.policylink.org.
The Senior Communications Associate (SCA) is a member of the communications team, reports to the Vice President for Communications, and works in partnership with PolicyLink program teams. The position requires excellent writing, editing, and strategic communications skills and a commitment to communicating the importance of economic and social equity, especially for low-income communities and communities of color.
The PolicyLink communications office is based in New York City. In addition to strategic communications duties, this SCA position will focus heavily on developing and implementing social media strategies across the organization and the incumbent will be a member of the digital strategies team. Duties will include: helping to provide direction across the organization to ensure consistent framing and messaging.
- Provide content editing for reports and articles, and write press releases and advisories, fact sheets, talking points, op-eds, blog posts/web content, letters to the editor, and commentaries.
- Provide strategic communications counsel to PolicyLink project teams that include PolicyLink staff and, frequently, external partners; develop communications strategies that support policy agendas at the state or federal level.
- Monitor and assess media coverage related to PolicyLink issue areas to plan and implement media strategies for all platforms.
- Develop and implement print, broadcast, and online media strategies to achieve program goals and enhance PolicyLink image and identity as a leader in advancing economic and social equity.
- Stay current and informed about policy developments related to PolicyLink issue areas to identify appropriate media hooks, be an avid reader and keen observer of politics and policy strategy, and be experienced in framing issues and developing messages.
- BA degree; minimum five years’ experience in nonprofit communications (especially social media) or journalism.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated excellence in planning and implementing social media strategies and using social media in advocacy campaigns.
- Demonstrated capacity for critical, independent, and creative thinking.
- Passion for social justice and appreciation for the role of policy in addressing the needs of low- income people and communities of color.
- Well-organized, hard worker, able to work well under pressure and meet shifting deadlines.
- Sense of humor, able to work as part of a team (as leader and/or colleague) in developing and implementing strategies, appreciation of the value of all kinds of diversity, good interpersonal skills, and willingness to travel occasionally.
Send Cover Letter and Résumé to:
PolicyLink – Senior Communications Associate, Search Committee
1438 Webster Street, Suite 303
Oakland, CA 94612
Fax to 510-587-1123 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (include subject line: “[your name])
(Senior Communications Associate–New York). The position is open until filled.
Please note: No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Excellent benefits including paid vacation, health, vision and dental insurance, and 401(k) retirement plan.
PolicyLink is committed to maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment.