Director of Communications (New York, New York)
Founded in 1999, PolicyLink connects the work of people on the ground to the creation of sustainable communities of opportunity that allow everyone to participate and prosper. Such communities offer access to quality jobs, affordable housing, good schools, transportation, and the benefits of healthy food and physical activity.
Guided by the belief that those closest to the nation’s challenges are central to finding solutions, PolicyLink relies on the wisdom, voice, and experience of local residents and organizations. Lifting Up What Works is our way of focusing attention on how people are working successfully to use local, state, and federal policy to create conditions that benefit everyone, especially people in low-income communities and communities of color. We share our findings and analysis through our publications, website and online tools, convenings, national summits, and in briefings with national and local policymakers.
Our work is grounded in the conviction that equity – just and fair inclusion – must drive all policy decisions. To hear more about the important role public policy plays in leveling the playing field for marginalized communities, click here for a discussion featuring our inspirational Founder and CEO, Angela Glover Blackwell.
PolicyLink is seeking a highly skilled communications professional to enhance the organization’s communication function, serving as a strategic leader to elevate the work of cross-functional teams as they tackle policy initiatives that aim to create a more just and equitable society. As a member of the communications leadership team, this individual will partner with senior leaders throughout the organization to advise them on how best to leverage the power of communication strategies to advance important equity and inclusion work that disrupts inequity in communities of color. Overseeing a capable, passionate, and intellectually curious team of communications professionals, the Director of Communications will ensure that PolicyLink has the communications strategies, content, workflows, and systems in place to effectively advance the organization’s programs and advocacy work while elevating the visibility of PolicyLink as a thought leader in the equity movement.
- In partnership with senior leaders, collaborate on the creation of a comprehensive internal and external communications strategy that will enable PolicyLink to maximize our social impact through thought-leadership and key initiatives.
- Serve as a communications “visionary,” consistently bringing an understanding of communications trends, best practices and technologies and how these might be best utilized given our organizational goals and resources.
- Communicate PolicyLink’s complex and powerful ideas to a diversity of audiences, engaging internal and external stakeholders in ways that foster a sense of community.
- Act as a strategic communications counsel, partnering with senior leaders to build internal and external content, such as fact sheets, position papers, marketing materials, press releases, and digital resources for dissemination across PolicyLink’s various communications platforms, with a particular eye for PolicyLink’s specific audiences and constituents.
- Lead and mentor our team of dedicated communications professionals to help them achieve success in their roles; work with individual team members to support their professional development goals; be an advocate for the communications team, and advocate for cutting-edge resources
- Oversee the development of consistent messaging across the organization to promote PolicyLink’s mission, vision and values
- Enhance communications standards and systems including branding and style guides, social media content policies, and inter-departmental workflows
- Train cross-functional teams around communications best practices and systems
- Significant experience in external affairs, communications, and/or marketing with progressive leadership responsibility and a track record of creating innovative communications strategies
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication and presentation skills, with proven success tailoring messages to a variety of audiences, particularly in translating complex policy and advocacy work to a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Keen understanding of promoting thought-leadership to strengthen an organization’s brand and support differentiation in a competitive market.
- Ability to develop and enhance strong communications standards, workflows and branding guidelines while disseminating content across multiple mediums, including social media, newsletters, and more.
- Excellent project and team management skills, alongside a profound enjoyment for leading and mentoring individuals in their professional development
- An innovative and opportunistic approach to identifying new opportunities to advance the mission of an organization through strategies that position it to be a thought leader, develop new partnerships, and elevate organizational visibility.
- Independent thinking with openness and excitement for new ideas; passion for collegial team environment and working with multiple colleagues on different projects at the same time.
- Intellectual curiosity coupled with a sense of humor
- An entrepreneurial spirit that thrives in a changing, a fast-paced, high performing world-class organization
- Comfort with national travel in support of collaborative work efforts
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s degree, or similar advanced degree preferred
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to Milly Hawk Daniel, Vice President for Communications at http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0K160000...
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
PolicyLink offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. PolicyLink is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers
PolicyLink has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Director of Communications. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 700 searches at 275 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.